Determining whether a UN*X pathname is a directory

I need a way to tell whether a given SunOS pathname such as
"al:/u/lgm/dir" represents a directory or an ordinary file.  (Note that
we only use FTP, not NFS, between Symbolics and Suns.)  PATHNAME-TYPE
only looks at the portion of the name after the last dot (if any), which
on SunOS has no connection with whether a pathname represents a
directory.  I tried invoking PROBE-FILE on the extended pathname
"al:/u/lgm/dir/.", whose presence would effectively tell me what I need
to know, but PROBE-FILE seems to go into an infinite loop with that
argument.  Any suggestions?

	Lawrence G. Mayka
	AT&T Bell Laboratories
	lgm@iexist.att.com