performance with >> 9 MW of memory

    Date: Fri, 6 Dec 1991 14:42 EST
    From: pan@ATHENA.PANGARO.dialnet.symbolics.com (Paul Pangaro)

    I have heard second hand that performance of symbolics machines
    (certainly this was about L machines, maybe G's too, that is part of the
    question) "degrades" with more than 9 MW of memory. Anybody know
    anything about this? I have no other info

Back in about 1986, a bug was discovered in the virtual memory system
that caused performance to degrade in machines with tons of memory.
It was fixed the same afternoon.  I know of no such problem any more,
but the story of that ancient bug is sometimes told for its amusement
value.  We have some substantially loaded machines in-house that have
the expected performance: fast.