Namespace via tcp

    Date: Fri, 6 Mar 1992 16:49 EST
    From: jbarnett@charming.nrtc.northrop.com

    If I want to use TCP instead of CHAOS for namespace services, what do I
    use as the equivalents for the service triples:

	    NAMESPACE CHAOS NAMESPACE
	    NAMESPACE-TIMESTAMP CHAOS-SIMPLE NAMESPACE-TIMESPACE

    Are there any noticable performance (dis)advantages between TCP and CHAOS
    for this service?

The equivalents are:

NAMESPACE TCP NAMESPACE and
NAMESPACE-TIMESTAMP UDP NAMESPACE-TIMESTAMP

They have been available since 7.2 or so but I wouldn't recommend using
them unless all of your machines are running 8.0 or greater.  I
personally believe the performance of namespace services over TCP is
better but that is a bit subjective.  The TCP and UDP services have an
added checksum that Chaos mediums do not have.  For larger namespace
updates, the larger TCP packet size can be a benefit.