Re: Question about traps in serving off Unix

    Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1992 17:43 EST
    From: Donald H. Mitchell <dmitchell@trc.amoco.com>

	Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1992 10:58 CST
	From: miller@SOL.CS.ROCHESTER.EDU (Brad Miller)

	    Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1992 02:52 EST
	    From: barmar@Think.COM (Barry Margolin)

	    ..., although there is support for keeping
	    namespace files on a Unix file server (but I've never tried it, so can't
	    vouch for it).

	I have; it's broken, don't bother. (Runs into problems with the (lack of)
	version numbers.)...

    We have everything but the namespace in normal Unix directories (a lot of ".sct"s).  Of
    course, we only have UX's.  From your note it appears that we could trivially move the
    namespace to Unix.  Remember, if you have a Unix directory with ".sct" as the last four
    characters, then all files anywhere under that directory will have full version numbers.

I guess I'm being unclear.

I'm running right now on a UX; it's my primary namespace server. The UNIX
host has all the sys: files and sources in an .sct directory. Last time I
tried to build worlds with the sys:site; there too. It didn't work. I had
problems right not during set site, but the first time the machine tried to
do a full update from disk. I put it back on the LMFS of my UX, and have had
no problems since.

Everything but the namespace is in an .sct directory, and works fine.

----
 Brad Miller		U. Rochester Comp Sci Dept.
 miller@cs.rochester.edu {...allegra!rochester!miller}