Portable way to get a function's arg list (ala Control-Shift-A)?

       Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1992 17:03 EST
       From: Healy@space50.nrl.navy.mil (Liam M. Healy)

	   Date: Mon, 23 Mar 1992 16:40 EST
	   From: hall@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (Marty Hall)

	   Is there a portable way to get the parameter list to a function?
	   Ie I want a way to be able to tell the user that function Foo
	   has two required args named xxx and yyy and one &optional arg
	   named zzz with a default value of aaa, just as Symbolics does
	   with control-shift-A (and elsewhere).  I tried to see how Symbolics did
	   it, but I couldn't find anything portable, especially as I'm not
	   allowed to assume anything about the structure of the object "function"
	   or "symbol-function" returns (right?). IS there a way?

	   I assume the answer is "no", but I wanted to confirm this with the
	   wizards.
						   - Marty
	   (setf (need-p 'disclaimer) NIL)

       arglist, e.g.: (arglist 'foo) returns information on function foo.
       As near as I can tell this is Symbolics, not CL.  But I'm no
       wizard.

   There is no fully portable function that does this.  But I'll bet
   several other CL implementations have an ARGLIST function.  Lucid does.

						   barmar

So does franz on the sun and MCL on the mac.