Using a UUCP host for SMTP e-mail to a SMBX

    Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1992 10:34 EDT
    From: Paul Pangaro <pan@ATHENA.PANGARO.dialnet.symbolics.com>

    I am considering subscribing to a commercial firm for connection to
    Internet. I don't want to give up the luxury of my mail arriving at my
    Symbolics on its own.  They offer "UUCP" connections --- is this what I
    want? Anyone have any experience on this? I know nothing except about
    DIALnet on the SMBX side. Many thanks.

The only relationship between UUCP (which stands for Unix-to-Unix CoPy)
and Dialnet are that they both work over dialup lines.  The protocols
are unrelated and not interoperable.  I haven't heard of a UUCP
implementation for Genera.

I remember Len Foner once mentioning that he was working on SLIP (Serial
Line IP) for Genera.  The commercial TCP/IP services all support SLIP.

                                                barmar