SLIP on Genera

    Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1992 13:40 EDT
    From: Barry Margolin <barmar@Think.COM>

[...]

    I remember Len Foner once mentioning that he was working on SLIP (Serial
    Line IP) for Genera.  The commercial TCP/IP services all support SLIP.

Symbolics has had SLIP running under Genera (Ivory machines only) for
about a year now.  In addition to the basic SLIP framing, we have
implemented CSLIP (RFC 1144), retuned TCP for low-speed links, and
written dynamic modem dialup and disconnect code. Since we moved SCRC to
Concord, our internal network (connections to Manufacturing in
California, field offices around the country, and so forth) runs
entirely over dialup SLIP links.

I would expect that this functionality would be part of the next release
of Genera, but I'm not in a position to make any commitments.