Unix file service

Hello SLUGgers,

Several months ago I posted 3 requests for information about transferring
Symbolics file service to a Unix box.  I got many responses (tanku beri mach)
but have had to wait for the disks to arrive before I could begin.  The disks
have finally arrived and I am now in the process of testing.  My problem is
that I continually get a "permission denied" error when I try to do a directory
listing of the disks.

I have had the Unix sysadmins set up each of the two 1.2 gigabyte disks as a
single partition on the host (goober [name not my choice]), so I have
goober:/home1 and goober:/home2 as dedicated partitions.  Each of them contains
a directory /home*/sjameson, which is exported via the following command in
goober:/etc/exports:

>/home1/sjameson   -access=hedora:gamera:minya:gojira:mothra:jiger:ebirah
>/home2/sjameson   -access=hedora:gamera:minya:gojira:mothra:jiger:ebirah

where the seven hosts are our seven Symbolics.  The namespace entry for host
goober is as follows:

>Showing HOST GOOBER in namespace GE-AI-LAB:
>Site: GE-AI-LAB
>System Type: UNIX42
>Address: INTERNET 129.203.1.224
>Pretty Name: Goober
>Console Location: ATL 2 233
>Service: FILE TCP TCP-FTP
>Service: FILE UDP TFTP
>Service: FILE UDP NFS
>Service: LOGIN TCP TELNET
>Service: SEND TCP SMTP
>Service: SHOW-USERS TCP ASCII-NAME
>Service: SHOW-USERS UDP ASCII-NAME
>Service: TAPE TCP UNIX-REXEC
>Service: TIME UDP TIME-SIMPLE-MSB
>Service: UNIX-REXEC TCP UNIX-REXEC
>Service: X-WINDOW-SYSTEM TCP X-WINDOW-SYSTEM
>User Property: YP-DOMAIN-NAME atl
>User Property: YP-DOMAIN-SERVER fergi
>User Property: NFS-AUTOMOUNT -f /etc/auto.master
>User Property: NFS-REMOTE-FILESYSTEM / fergi:/export/root/goober

Note that as recommended, I have used the NFS-AUTOMOUNT property with arguments
the same as the arguments to automount in /etc/rc.local: "-f /etc/auto.master".
I have also used the NFS-REMOTE-FILESYSTEM property so that it can find the
/etc directory which is actually resident on the unix file server, fergi, and
so is mounted by the mapping "/ fergi:/export/root/goober".  I have included
the YP-DOMAIN-NAME and YP-DOMAIN-SERVER so that it can use NIS.  I have also
included in my user object the entry:

>User Property: RPC-UID 297

in case it cannot use NIS.  None of this seems to work.  I should mention that
the seven hosts above are not defined in goober's /etc/hosts file, but I can
telnet to any of them from goober so I don't know why that would matter.  I do
not have root privileges on the Unix system, so I cannot experiment as freely
with ideas on there as I can on the Symbolics.  Does anybody have any
suggestions as to changes that should be made to get this to work.  Goober is a
Sparcstation 1, the Symbolics I am working from is an XL-400 running Genera
8.1.1:

>Symbolics System, FEP0:>inc-basic-from-8-1-1.ilod.1
>XL400 Processor, 4.0M words Physical memory, 28.1M words Swapping space.
> Genera             8.1.1
> IP-TCP             435.0
> NFS Server         425.0
> NFS Client         425.2 (ECO level 1)
> NFS Documentation  410.0
> Metering           429.0
> CLIM               27.0
> CLIM Documentation 31.0
> Print Spooler      425.0
> GE AI Lab          3.3
> X Remote Screen    429.0
> CLX                431.0
>
>GE Advanced Technology Labs, AI Lab Jiger

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Steve Jameson
sjameson@fergie.dnet.ge.com
General Electric Aerospace
Advanced Technology Laboratories
Moorestown, New Jersey
**  . . . but I do not love the sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow    **
**  for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory.  I love only that   **
**  which they defend . . .                                               **
**    -- Faramir, "The Two Towers"                                        **