dialnet access to riverside

    Date: Tue, 30 Jun 1992 21:13 MDT
    From: William D. Gooch <gooch@tijeras.sw-sw.com>

    In light of the announced impending cessation of dialout from riverside
    for mail delivery, I would like to find out if other people experince to
    same difficulty I have in getting dialnet service when dialing in.
    Although I can occasionally (usually late at night) get riverside to
    answer and give me dialnet service when I dial in, far more frequently
    my attempts at contact fail

    This also happens with other dialnet hosts I call, but with much lower
    frequency than with riverside.  If this continues and riverside ceases
    dialing out, I don't know whether it will be practical for me to send or
    receive mail along that path.  For several reasons, I cannot afford to
    keep a machine up 24 hours a day, and frequent attempts to contact
    riverside will, in my experience, simply run up my phone bill without
    getting the mail through.

Sorry for the late reply; I've been away for a long time, and I'm afraid
that I lost 6 of the last 8 weeks of mail.

I too have real problems dailing up riverside to get mail. I *always*
get the folowing error: [indentation mine]

04:32:44 < Message 30204: Network error sending with MAIL-TO-USER (SMTP)
--  RIVERSIDE.SCRC.SYMBOLICS.COM on DIAL|DIAL to
   (RIVERSIDE.SCRC.SYMBOLICS.COM): RIVERSIDE.SCRC.SYMBOLICS.COM
    responded inappropriately after answer ing the phone,
    indicating that the protocol is unsynchronized between the two peers.
    We were attempting a :MAIL-TO-USER connection

But, now that I know that I can try calling back immediately and the
connection often works the second time, I guess I can't say always.
Thanks for the tip, Kalman! For example, I have tried to send this
message twice, and both times I got the unsynchronized error.
Fortunately the machine hangs up before it waits 2.5 minutes in Raw
Serial TYI to time out and print the unsynchronized error message.

I would hope that Symbolics would iron out the problems associated with
dialing in before they ceased having riverside dial out.  I'd also
really appreciate it if Symbolics would make dialnet work at faster than
1200 baud!

Oh, and by the way, Symbolics might need to update its
sys:site;scrc-domain.text file to reflect riverside's new phone number.