problem with secure subnets attribute?

    Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1992 08:16 CDT
    From: drstrip@isrc.sandia.gov (David R. Strip)

    We recently renumbered our entire network, owing to the fact that
    someone cleverly assumed that we would never actually be on the internet
    and numbered all nodes as 1.0.0.x. We are now legit, so I edited the
    namespace file, replacing all strings of the form 1.0.0.x to
    a.b.c.x, where a, b, c are our new addresses. I then rebooted all
    the lispms. (someone else took care of the unix boxes). I can no longer
    seem to talk between the lispms. Any file request, for example, gets
    a message about improper access, and offers options such as login and
    enable capability.

    I am guessing this is related to the secure subnets attribute. I edited
    that in the namespace database as well. The entry reads
      INTERNET a.b.c.0
    which is what the docs seem to indicate, though obviously I am not getting
    this right.

    All help gratefully accepted.
    Strip

I suspect this may have to do with subnet numbers (the "c" part of your
internet addresses) not matching properly with chaos addresses.  See the
section "Mapping an Internet Address into a Chaos Address" in the Symbolics
documentation.  It explains how the high-order bits of the chaos address
are mapped into the third field ("c" in your description) of the internet
address.  Good luck.