Distributing files on a Unix system.

   From: barmar@Think.COM (Barry Margolin)
   Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1992 07:21:43 GMT

      Date: Wed, 12 Aug 92 16:13:58 EDT
      From: sjameson@fergie.atl.ge.com (Stephen M Jameson)

      Second, when Genera takes a logical pathname and translates it into a Unix
      physical pathname, it automatically seems to generate file names in all lower
      case letters.  This caused another problem, which we got around by converting
      all Unix files to all lower case, but this was a bit inconvenient.  Is there
      anyway to specify in a logical pathname that the file should have some mix of
      lower and upper case letters?

   Modulo some bugs, the virtual file server that the logical pathname
   represents is uppercase only.  Pathnames are translated to the default case
   of the target file system, which is lowercase for Unix.

It's important to realize that logical pathnames provide a
least-common-demoninator naming scheme, to allow files to
be shared between systems.  There are a lot of non-case-sensitive
systems out there (thank god!).

However, you can specify exact names in the translations if you want.
You can even do this via a rule-based mechanism if you want, but I'm
not going to spend the time now to tell you how.  See SYS:IO;LOGPATH.LISP
if you really want to know.