Preserving version numbers in NFS

Is there any way to copy a file from a LMFS to an NFS file system and preserve
version numbers.  If you copy a file "foo.lisp.7" from one lmfs directory to
another, it seems in general to do so, so you get "foo.lisp.7" in the other
directory.  If you copy the same file to an NFS directory (which has a "*.sct"
somewhere in its pathname), it creates "foo.lisp.~<n+1>~", where n is the
number of previously existing versions of foo.lisp in the directory.  Is there
any way to force it to create foo.lisp.~7~.

This is important for being able to copy an SCT system over to an NFS file
server, while preserving the ability to load all previously compiled versions
of the system.

Steve Jameson                           General Electric Aerospace
sjameson@atl.ge.com                     Advanced Technology Laboratories
                                        Moorestown, New Jersey
**  . . . but I do not love the sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow    **
**  for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory.  I love only that   **
**  which they defend . . .                                               **
**    -- Faramir, "The Two Towers"                                        **