Barmar Solves Another ... ftp - already closed error

The solution posted to this net by Barmar has just been checked by the guy who
had the problem, me. Other than a stupid package thing when I entered the fix,
it works just as posted.

Why is it that Barmar could fix this and symbolics couldn't/wouldn't? I am
fully paid up on s/w maint, I submitted this problem several MONTHS ago, and
have had several exchanges about it. Perhaps someone from Symbolics is
listening out there?

Anyway, thanks again to Barmar for resolving a particularly annoying problem.
Strip