1/13/93: SYMBOLICS ANNOUNCES WORK FORCE REDUCTION

Contact: Bill Clarke (508) 287-1351, Richard Waltz (508) 287-1049

	SYMBOLICS ANNOUNCES WORK FORCE REDUCTION

CONCORD, Mass. January 13, 1993 -- Symbolics, Inc. (NASDAQ: SMBX),
following a disappointing 29 percent decline of revenues in the
Company's second quarter ending December 31, 1992, which was previously
reported, announced it will reduce its work force of 110 by 36 percent.
The Company is experiencing liquidity difficulties and needs to obtain
additional financing in the near term to fund its operations.  In
addition to the announced work force reduction, the company continues to
review all of its financial alternatives, including selling the Company,
obtaining additional financing and seeking the protection of federal
bankruptcy laws.

Kenneth J. Tarpey, Symbolics' President and Chief Executive Officer,
stated, "The revenue decline in this past quarter, and the resulting
cash shortage, leaves us with little alternative but to reduce our work
force.  In addition to these reductions, we are continuing to seek ways
to contain costs and restructure the Company and its financing to
increase our liquidity and to fund continuing operations."

Symbolics Inc. (NASDAQ: SMBX), headquartered in Concord, Massachusetts,
is a leading provider of symbolic processing technology used in
sophisticated applications, including on-line decision support, expert
systems and scheduling and planning.  The Company provides software and
hardware tools and consulting services to some of the world's largest
corporations, devising application solutions to mission-critical
business problems in the government, telecommunications, manufacturing,
utilities and transportation industries.