backing up several machines to one tape?

    Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1993 15:26 PDT
    From: Neal Feinberg <nealf@harlequin.com>

       Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1993 17:21 -0400
       From: Barry Margolin <barmar@think.com>

	   Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1993 15:56 EDT
	   From: Hans Tallis <tallis@starbase.mitre.org>

	   I have 3 symbolics machines (two ivories, one non-ivory); one of the ivories
	   has an exabyte drive on it.  I'd like to back up all three LMFSes onto the
	   exabyte.  Is there a simple way to do this (preferably without a lot of mouse
	   action)?

       Make sure that the machine with the tape drive has

	       Service: TAPE TCP RTAPE
	       Service: TAPE CHAOS RTAPE

    It is best to leave out the CHAOS service entry.  You really never want to use
    CHAOS, and sometimes when the machine is loaded, the client machine
    will try CHAOS instead of TCP, thinking the tape server is unreachable
    via TCP.  Chaos doesn't have the software end-to-end checksum that TCP
    has, and you might find that extra checksum useful.  So just add TAPE
    TCP RTAPE.

       in its namespace entry.  Then when the dumper asks where you want to
       dump to, specify "name:device", where "name" is the name of the machine
       with the tape drive, and "device" is the name of the Exabyte drive on
       that machine (I'm not sure how SCSI devices are named on Ivory systems).
       The machine running the dump will then connect to the tape server over
       the network.

						       barmar

    You can use SCSI<n> for the "device" field, where <n> is the unit
    number.  If you don't know what the SCSI unit number of the exabyte
    is, use the :Show Machine Configuration command, specifying the host
    to which the tape drive is physically connected.

    I bet you really want to write some script which will automatically
    dump all three LMFSii without any operator intervention.
    Unfortunately, I don't know of any such batch facility.  Perhaps
    someone else on SLUG has already hacked up something.  Failing that,
    you could try to read the LMFS sources.  There is some good stuff in
    there.

The real question is: How do you retrieve from a specific hosts' lmfs
backup dump?