Netbooting

    Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1993 13:55 CDT
    From: Barry Margolin <barmar@think.com>

	Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1993 12:40 EDT
	From: jbarnett@charming.nrtc.northrop.com

    [...]

	Question: given that step 2) does a si:full-gc, etc., is the
	netboot core, FEP:>NETBOOT-CORE-GENERA-8-3.LOAD, sufficient to
	boot our site configured world?

    Should be.  I think a netboot core can be used to boot any world
    that uses the same microcode.

One thing to watch out for is that a typical ethernet segment can only
handle three or four machines netbooting at the same time before it
starts getting too congested and the netboot clients get confused.  I
have our G and I machines set up with autoboot delays such that they
netboot in sets of four -- it's great for those 2 a.m. power outages.

Another bit of hard-earned advice:  Make sure you have a netboot core,
flods, microcode, and some paging space on *each* disk of multidisk
machines.  That way if one disk conks out you can still netboot a world
and possibly recover.

--David Gadbois