REQUIRE and friends

[I realize that REQUIRE isn't released.]

While trying to load T3 into ALFL, I got the following error message:

        ** Error: illegal to create new bindings in this environment
          (ENV-LOOKUP ... %LOOP:EXPAND-MACRO #t #t)

This is apparently because I used REQUIRE within a BIND form - thus
not at top level.

Why can't I use REQUIRE at any other than top level???

Perhaps REQUIRE should take an optional environment parameter???

Should I just use *REQUIRE instead?

Sigh.

                                --- Jonathan

-------