T types not objects?

In the CommonLoops paper from OOPSLA '86, it was stated
that "there is no integration of Lisp types with objects"
(p. 26).  News to me.  I thought that all types behaved
as objects to which I can send messages.  The print
operation comes to mind.  It works on user defined objects
as well as simple data objects like pairs.  Could it be
that they are complaining about the fact that the interface
used to modify handlers of simple data objects is unreleased?
John