=var

Sorry. Let me be clearer. I have code that works well enough.
 Its just that I don't like it because it has to read ahead
and that can cause problems. I would like the code to just
have to do peeks, not do reads. Here is the current code:

(set (read-table-entry *VAR-READ-TABLE* #\=)
     (lambda (port char old-read-table)
       (ignore old-read-table)
        (let ((next-char (peek-char port)))
           (if (char= next-char #\>)    ; ignore => because of T's COND
               (block
                  (read-char port)
                  '=>)
                 (make-Var (read-refusing-eof port))))))