Filenames

    I have recently had problems with T filenames.  Am I mis-using
them or do they not have the functionality I need?  For instance,
I often have files in the same directory (say, "foo") which need
other support files from the same directory.  So I want to say

    (HERALD FILE1 (ENV T (FILE2)))

but this of course does not work.

    In addition, if I want REQUIRE to work for others besides myself,
I have to say

    (REQUIRE BAR (SYS/HOMES/YOUNG/FOO BAR))

Note the *lack* of "~" (that bug took me a while to find).

    My impression was that we were moving towards filenames and
away from strings-as-filenames.  How can this work if every filename
must be relative to a ~ logical?

                --- Jonathan