minutiae

1. I think you want to use PROPER-LIST? to check how the supposed list ends.

2. Try (CLOSE *LOAD-CHANNEL*) until I make things work right or at
   least better.

3. The name SYMBOLCONC came out of history, and belongs there.  I would
   love to give it a better name but can't think of one I really like.
   In such situations (and there are many) I stick with something
   idiosyncratic and absurd rather than go for something that might imply
   non-existent consistency or otherwise be misleading.
   By current conventions, calling it SYMBOL-CONC would sort of imply that
   there is such a thing as CONC, and there isn't.