read-line

READ-LINE reads a "line" and returns it as a string, where "line"
corresponds what people think of as a line in the printed representation
of a file.

The READ-LINE operation will soon be supported the standard IO streams,
in the Apollo implementation.  I think the same is true for the VAX.
Along with this I expect to have buffer IO streams,  which should make
a substantial improvement in the  reader's performance.  You can
expect a release by the end of the week.