Re: allegro on a solbourne

>>     Does anybody have experience with running allegro on a Solbourne?
>> I'm mainly interested in ways to take advantage of the mulitple
>> processors.  I presume mp:run-process does NOT have the capability to
>> run a process on another processor, since it is a lightweight process
>> within the allegro process.  Has anyone tried using shared memory to
>> communicate between two lisps, each running on a separate processor?
>> I want to do what I'll call "high granularity parallelization" for
>> example:  get-data-for-shot-i, do-signal-processing-for-shot-(i-1),
>> display-and-archive-shot-(i-2), etc.  (I hope that makes sense)

You are correct in presuming that mp:run-process does not have the
capability to run a process on another processor.

While not necessarily of help to you on the Solbourne (yet!), Franz does
market a multiprocessor Lisp, entitled Allegro CLiP (for Common Lisp in
Parallel) that does allow the running of Lisp lightweight processes on
different processors.  CLiP is based on the UC Berkeley dialect of SPUR
Lisp, and comes with primitives for manipulating lightweight processes
(LWP's), message-passing and signals between LWP's, as well as blocking
and non-blocking locks.  CLiP also has macrolibraries for Multilisp and
Qlisp, and thus has an implementation of futures.  Currently, CLiP is
only available on the Sequent Symmetry (and, yes, it does use the shared
memory to communicate between lgihtweight processes), but this could
change given sufficient marketing impetus (read: vote now!).

						George
					George Jacob
					Franz Inc.
					INTERNET: georgej@franz.com