Compiler cleanup issues, again

(flame on)

If there is not going to be a compiler subcommittee meeting at this
month's X3J13 meeting, I think the subcommittee should be officially
disbanded.  As far as I can tell, we have accomplished nothing at all
since November, and nothing has happened lately to convince me that
things are going to change.

As I have been saying for quite a while now, I think the current trend
of tabling small, well-defined proposals while waiting for the Grand
Theory of Compilation to be revealed is a mistake -- what ever happened
to the divide-and-conquer approach?  I don't think any of us have the
time to really take charge of the situation, put together a moby
proposal that addresses all of the issues, and push it through the full
committee.  (We've already seen that there is such a diversity among
implementations that I find it hard to believe that implementors will be
able to agree on *any* Grand Theory.)  On the other hand, there does
seem to be somewhat more agreement on some of the smaller issues
considered individually.

(flame off)

The cleanup subcommittee seems to be doing a good job of pushing issues
through and I think they would be a better chance of getting
compiler-related issues resolved than we would, given our track record
so far.  Perhaps we should try to arrange for an official transfer of
responsibilities at the upcoming meeting?

-Sandra
-------