should not have been evaluated at any time.  Just some input.

Date: Mon, 7 Mar 88 18:44 EST
 From: Richard Mlynarik <Mly@JASPER.Palladian.COM>

    Date: Mon, 7 Mar 88 16:25 EST
    From: David A. Moon <Moon@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>

    I remember this issue being discussed only a few months ago on either
    Common-Lisp or CL-Cleanup.  I think somebody had some reasons to oppose
    this proposal, but I don't remember finding them convincing.  Sorry I
    don't remember any of the details, I mention it because perhaps this
    will stimulate someone else's memory.