ELIMINATE-FORCED-CONSING

I agree with your prognosis.

Specifically, I know of important companies that are trying to deliver
Lisp-written programs to be competitive with C-written ones, and their
programmers believe (rightly or wrongly) that they must do cons-free
programming.  So it is a serious problem that can't be completely
ignored.  Additionally, I agree with your conjecture:

     In my mind, making CL more complicated is a very high cost.

and would add to it that making cleanup proposals more complicated
will be a very high cost.  There's only so much we can do betwen
now and January.

-- JonL --