Date: Tue, 10 Jan 89 20:52:26 GMT
 From: Richard Tobin <R.Tobin@uk.ac.ed>
To: jeff@ed.aiai
Subject: GCD in CLtL

CLtL defines (gcd) as zero, which seems bogus to me.  It should be
undefined, as should (gcd 0).  The reasoning goes like this:

Let f be a function that takes an arbitrary number of arguments.  If
there is an "identity" i, such that (f -some-args- i) is always the
same as (f -some-args-), then the value of (f) should be the same as
(f i), if that is defined.  So far, so good.

But 0 is certainly not the greatest common divisor of 0.  All integers
divide 0.  Furthermore, (gcd -some-args- -another-arg-) should never be
greater than (gcd -some-args-), since it adds a constraint to the set of
numbers of which we are computing the greatest.  But if (gcd 0) is 0,
(gcd 4 0) (ie 4) is greater then (gcd 0).

The only reasonable value for (gcd 0) would be some representation of
infinity, but we don't have one, so it should be undefined.

-- Richard

---- End of forwarded text ----