Issue: ADJUST-ARRAY-NOT-ADJUSTABLE (Version 8)

re: I find (1) distasteful, because non-adjustable arrays and the
    SIMPLE-ARRAY type exist solely for the benefit of implementations that
    need them, and this would require support of these concepts in
    implementations that don't derive any benefit from them.

Barry, SIMPLE-ARRAY is certainly not the only concept in CLtL that exists
"solely for the benefit of implementations that [can really use it]".  I
know that numerous array capabilities are present but not very useful
in Lucid Common Lisp primarily for compatiblity with Lisp Machine stuff.

That's the price to pay for portability.  It just may be that we will have
to confess that we didn't succeed at portability in some areas of CL.

-- JonL --