Issue: ADJUST-ARRAY-NOT-ADJUSTABLE (Version 8)

What happens in implementations that allow all arrays to be adjusted?
If you require that (typep x 'simple-array) implies (not
(adjustable-array-p x)), I see two possible resolutions: 1) such
implementations are not conforming; 2) the type SIMPLE-ARRAY is empty.
I find (1) distasteful, because non-adjustable arrays and the
SIMPLE-ARRAY type exist solely for the benefit of implementations that
need them, and this would require support of these concepts in
implementations that don't derive any benefit from them.  I think (2)
makes the SIMPLE-ARRAY type pretty useless, since a portable program
can't expect anything to be of this type (FIXNUM had this problem until
we fixed it in Hawaii).

                                                barmar