discussion on FUNCTION-TYPE. Of course, these are taken out of context...

 From: David A. Moon <Moon@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 87 00:26 EST

It might be wise to add LEXICAL-CLOSURE and INTERPRETED-FUNCTION data
types, to go along with the COMPILED-FUNCTION type that already exists.
These three would be disjoint subtypes of FUNCTION, but not necessarily
an exhaustive partition.  There might be other ways to slice the space
of types, since it's not so clear what a function not inside a closure
is good for.  Alternatively we could flush COMPILED-FUNCTION and say
that the subtypes of FUNCTION are all implementation-dependent.  But I
think having COMPILED-FUNCTION without the others is weird.
- - - - - - - - -
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 87 00:53 EST
 From: "Scott E. Fahlman" <Fahlman@C.CS.CMU.EDU>

Probably we should explicitly name COMPILED-FUNCTION and
INTERPRETED-FUNCTION as subtypes of FUNCTION, and make TYPEP work for
them.
- - - - - - - - -
Date: 08 Mar 87 23:51 PST
 From: Dick Gabriel <RPG@SAIL.STANFORD.EDU>

Possibly these should not be required to be pairwise disjoint (?).

I think we shouldn't presume that all implementations implement
functions as closures. I can imagine an implementation with
COMPILED-FUNCTIONs, INTERPRETED-FUNCTIONs, COMPILED-CLOSUREs,
and INTERPRETED-CLOSUREs.
- - - - - - - - -
Date: Mon, 9 Mar 87 10:57 EST
 From: "Scott E. Fahlman" <Fahlman@C.CS.CMU.EDU>

Well, these make sense only in systems that do support both compiled and
interpreted code.  In compiler-only or interpreter-only systems, I guess
the best move would be to say that every function is a member of both of
these subtypes: it is both a fast function and a slow function.

Now you're the one who is letting the user see internal stuff that is
none of his concern.  All of these functions are closures, in that they
no longer have any free variables waiting to be closed.  In some cases,
there may have been none in the first place, and implementors may want
to use some efficient internal form in such cases, but is there any
reason the user needs to know that?  A confusing concept that does him
no good (I think).
- - - - - - - - -
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 87 01:57 EST
 From: David A. Moon <Moon@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>

... I vacillate between
saying that all of the subtypes of FUNCTION are implementation-dependent
and shouldn't be standardized (thus COMPILED-FUNCTION should be
removed), and saying that programs might want to know this information,
so all the plausible subtypes should have standard names, even if they
aren't distinct in some implementations.  The only thing I feel strongly
and consistently about is that COMPILED-FUNCTION should not be the only
standardized subtype of FUNCTION; it should either acquire some siblings
or go away.
Date: Wed, 13 May 87 03:10 EDT
 From: Kent M Pitman <KMP@STONY-BROOK.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>

 * It seems to me that we might as well go ahead and create types
   INTERPRETED-FUNCTION and COMPILED-FUNCTION since the combination of
   the FUNCTION type and the COMPILED-FUNCTION-P predicate already
implements
   this distinction. Perhaps eventually COMPILED-FUNCTION-P could be
flushed.