[Date Prev][Date Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Date Index][Thread Index]
Issue EVAL-WHEN-NON-TOP-LEVEL, v2
- To: IIM@ECLA.USC.EDU
- Subject: Issue EVAL-WHEN-NON-TOP-LEVEL, v2
- From: Jon L White <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Date: Tue, 3 Jan 89 15:23:06 PST
- Cc: cl-compiler@SAIL.STANFORD.EDU
- In-reply-to: Kim A. Barrett's message of Mon 2 Jan 89 17:28:34-PST <12459458298.4.IIM@ECLA.USC.EDU>
re: Now the real question is, is this really what we want to do?
Well, about a year ago, I became convinced that "we" out to give a
macro-definition for EVAL-WHEN, to greatly simplify it's description.
Your recent addition to the previous proposals for this macro is the
one that makes the COMPILE situation only relevant to "toplevel"; it
does make the coding a bit simpler.
A year ago, I might have been opposed to that simply because it meant
that "toplevel" would have to be rigorously defined, and I didn't think
it could be done in time. But it looks like we *are* going to have to
do it anyway. So we might as well go for the simplification you inspired.
-- JonL --