Re: issue ALLOW-LOCAL-INLINE

> I don't see a need for distinguishing between
> * always inline
>    and
> * maybe inline (let the compiler decide)
>
> since "always inline" really means "let the compiler decide" anyway. The
> control over the compilers heuristics are more portably controlled via the
> SPACE vs SPEED parameters, are they not?

The heuristic approach is what I had in mind by "maybe inline"; by "always
inline" I mean to expand it inline if it is possible to, whether or not it is a
good idea.  I have been interpreting the current INLINE declaration to mean
"always inline"; maybe this is another point that needs clarification.