CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

WHY?

    Date: Thu, 8 Aug 91 14:55:01 CDT
    From: David Neves <neves@ils.nwu.edu>

    Why does open-root-window take a window-type argument that is specific to
    the machine being worked on?  I thought the whole idea of clim was machine
    independence.  When I switch between clims on different machines I either
    have to remember to rewrite that part of the code or to code my own
    function that checks to see what kind of machine I am using.
    I am sure there is a good reason for doing it but perhaps there could be
    another function for those of us who don't need to do anything fancy and
    would like to have the same code run on different machines.

Because you might have two root windows open in the same environment,
one on your local machine (say a root window of type :MCL) and one using
CLX across the network to another display (a root window of type :CLX).

0,,