CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Does ink affect non-drawn text?

    Date: Thu, 2 Jan 1992 17:23 CST
    From: Mark Nahabedian <naha@YUKON.SCRC.Symbolics.COM>

	Date: Thu, 2 Jan 1992 14:30 EST
	From: lgm@iexist.att.com

	(defun color-text1 0(ink)
	  (clim:with-drawing-options (nil :ink ink)
	    (write-line "hi there")
	    (values)))

	On my monochrome Symbolics XL1200, passing COLOR-TEXT a sufficiently
	dark color such as CLIM:+GREEN+ causes "hi there" to print (in black on
	a white background, i.e. the foreground color); passing COLOR-TEXT a
	lighter color such as CLIM:+CYAN+ causes "hi there" not to show up at
	all.  (Presumably, it is printing in the background color.)

    I think what's happening here is that CLIM is actually trying to draw
    the text in +cyan+.  When Genera tries to render +cyan+ on a black and
    white screen, it figures out the intensity for that color and draws at
    the closest gray level that the display can handle.  Since your
    monochrome display only supports two gray levels: 0% and 100%, and cyan
    is a light color, you wind up with nothing at all.

Yes.  Ironically, calling CLIM:DRAW-TEXT* instead of WRITE-LINE (still
with the color CLIM:+CYAN+) produces a light stipple, as I expected.
Apparently, the output of WRITE-LINE on a monochrome Genera screen can
only be rendered as black or white--nothing in between.

	Lawrence G. Mayka
	AT&T Bell Laboratories
	lgm@iexist.att.com

Standard disclaimer.