CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: CLIM via X on 2 megapixel screens

  Date: Tue 11 Feb 92 21:00:25-PST
  From: Mabry Tyson <TYSON@ai.sri.com>
  Subject: CLIM via X on 2 megapixel screens
  To: clim@BBN.COM

  Maybe I can figure this out but it is sure easier to ask this list in case
  someone else has done it.

  We've just tried to run CLIM on a 2 megapixel (ie, high resolution) Sun screen
  and the fonts are inappropriately sized (tiny).  This is under open windows
  and olwm.  He has a .Xresources to handle his other programs that specifies
  *font.

  How can we get the CLIM fonts to be more reasonably sized on the machine for
  that user?

Dan Cerys had the following idea, which he didn't implement, because he
didn't need to.  CLIM parses the X logical font descriptions (see X
Protocol Reference Manual, appendix M) using the pixel_size.  He suggests
it would be better to use point_size which is resolution independent.

Of course, it is possible that Openwin does not have any fonts appropriate
for your resolution.  One problem we had when going from X11 to Openwin was
that the way the fonts were being wildcarded produced a more squished
together font in Openwin then in X11.  We were able to get around this by
only selecting adobe fonts, which works fine for us.