CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Accepting-values

    Date: Wed, 8 Apr 1992 09:01 EDT
    From: John Doleac <jd05@gte.com>

    [...]
    I tried John's sandwich example with a write-caption-pane in it.
    Write-caption-pane in an accepting-values works in MCL and Allegro, but
    causes a sheet lock on Symbolics:

Forget my earlier explanation.

I was confused about what you were trying to do.  Basically, you are
asking Genera's crufty old window system to do something that it isn't
up to.  Namely: write out on a partially obscured window.  When you
pop-up the a-v window, it pops up on top of your application frame.  You
can't do output to the application frame's panes until you've finished
with the a-v pane.  Younger, more sprightly, window systems can do this.

Assuming this is an experiment and not a type of interaction you're
actually trying to achieve, I'll leave it at that.  If you're using
pop-up a-v's to change application state, that's fine.  Just don't try
to reflect the new state in your application panes until the a-v dialog
is finished.  Even in a modern window system, remember that code inside
the pop-up a-v runs again and again and again...

Main Index | Thread Index