CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: More about OPEN-WINDOW-STREAM

  From: Erik Eilerts <eilerts@cs.utexas.edu>
  Date: Fri, 10 Apr 1992 10:54:01 -0500
  To: clim@BBN.COM
  Subject: More about OPEN-WINDOW-STREAM

        I'm using CLIM 1.0 beta on a Sun 4 and the problem that I've been having
  is that when I call the following code:

      (setf root-window
            (clim:open-window-stream :parent *clim-root*
                                     :save-under t
                                     :left 40
  	                           :top 80
                                     :width 200
                                     :height 200))
      (clim:window-expose root-window)
      (clim:window-visibility root-window)

      is that the window appears in an outline and I have to click the mouse
  at the place that I want to put the window on the screen.  What I'd rather
  have happen is that the window appears on the screen with its upper
  left corner appearing at the specified (left, top) coordinate.  Does anyone
  know if this is possible, or is it because I have 1.0 beta?
      Also, I'm using Mit XR5 with the twm window manager.

I believe you can set up your .twmrc file to do this.
Here is the relevant portion of my .twmrc file:

#     UsePPosition string
#             This variable specifies whether or  not  twm  should
#             honor program-requested locations (given by the PPo-
#             sition flag in the WM_NORMAL_HINTS property) in  the
#             absence  of a user-specified position.  The argument
#             string may have one of  three  values:   "off"  (the
#             default)  indicating  that  twm  should  ignore  the
#             program-supplied position, "on" indicating that  the
#             position  should  be used, and "non-zero" indicating
#             that the position should used if it  is  other  than
#             (0,0).   The  latter  option is for working around a
#             bug in older toolkits.
UsePPosition "on"

#     RandomPlacement
#             This variable indicates that windows with no  speci-
#             fied  geometry  should should be placed in a pseudo-
#             random location instead of having the user drag  out
#             an outline.
RandomPlacement