CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

CLIM functionality

John C. Mallery writes [among other things]:

 7) BETTER INTEGRATION: In Genera 8.1.1, CLIM remains poorly integrated.  Thus,
 one cannot use, for example presentation types or text styles outside CLIM,
 say in the editor. (I have a different large system which would suffer by
 conversion to CLIM because it would no longer operate seamlessly in the
 editor.  This brings me to the point that it would be desirable to have some
 general-purpose facilities written in CL using CLIM.  The first on my list is
 an Emacs or ZMACS-like editor -- or better yet, a hypertext system + mail
 reader.  While we're at it, what about debugger interfaces?

I'd like to support this view and to add that when NOT using Genera, an integrated,
extensible and customizable editor is often missing. Although using Emacs
on UNIX workstations may be an alternative [which has been choosen by
several Lisp Vendors for their development environments], the impact on portability and difficulties
with the integration are important arguments against this approach.

Tools going beyond text editing [such as hypertext systems] could also significantly facilitate
application development.

Kind regards,

Frank Plassmeier

0,,