CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Command Table Menu Items

    Date: Tue, 3 Nov 1992 04:23 EST
    From: Markus Fischer <MF@sun4.sger>

    I want to make a suggestion for 2.0:
    The default command menu displayer should organize
    command menu items column-wise instead of row-wise.
    Right now (1.1) it's this way:
    A  B  C
    D  E  F
    G  H  I

    I think it's much more ergonomical to have it that way:
    A  D  G
    B  E  H
    C  F  I

    Of course I know that I could use my own displayer
    but I think a change to the built-in one would
    be much more convienient.

    Or could there be any portability or other problems
    associated with such a change?

This is a reasonable request, and I weas in the mood for a hack attack,
so...

I changed FORMATTING-ITEM-LIST and FORMAT-ITEMS to take a new :ROW-WISE
keyword.  It defaults to T, which gives the current behavior.  If you
supply :ROW-WISE NIL, it will arrange the item list column-wise instead.

I made all of the menu-ish functions take :ROW-WISE and pass it along to
the item list formatter.

I did not change the default for DISPLAY-COMMAND-MENU, but you can pass
:ROW-WISE NIL if you want the new behavior.  I could easily be persuaded
that this should be the default behavior, but I didn't feel like making
an incompatible change.

This will be in CLIM 2.0

0,,