CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Buggy WITH-TEXT-STYLE Macro??

    Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1992 10:50 EST
    From: Meir Laker <meir@watson.ibm.com>

       From: berni@iml.fhg.de
       Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1992 09:49:07 +0100

       Well -- to switch merging off is too much of a good thing, as I might as
       well want to merge the text styles in e.g. the size attribute. To allow merging
       :bold and :italic, it would be necessary to define something like (:bold nil) or
       (nil :italic) as face specifiers, but treat them as not fully specified style
       specifiers, where merging should be applied.

    How about separating the "weight" of the font (i.e, bold, non-bold)
    from the "slant" of the font (i.e., italic, roman) and having a text
    style specified as a quadruple (family, slant, weight, size)?  Then,
    the algorithm for merging remains the same.

While I believe this is the correct solution, I don't think it's a good
idea to make this change now because it is too late in the CLIM 2.0 cycle
to make this sort of incompatible change.

0,,