CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: How to deal with a 1-button mouse?

    Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1993 11:30 EDT
    From: Jeff Morrill <jmorrill@BBN.COM>

      Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1993 10:51 -0400
      From: Scott McKay <SWM@stony-brook.scrc.symbolics.com>

      There are no "logical" gestures in CLIM named :LEFT, :MIDDLE, or :RIGHT.
      Furthermore, I personally think it is poor style to create logical
      gestures with any of those names because the names are (conceptually)
      not portable.

    Yes, dwim has this for older code that is longing
    for the good old days when dynamic windows ruled.

Yup, DW had no portability constraints, and let you get away with using
:LEFT, :MIDDLE, and :RIGHT.   Here at `Bolics, we mostly felt it was in
poor taste to use it, but supported it nonetheless.  Probably a mistake.

    In the last three years, it has been difficult to keep up with
    the evolving concept of "good style" in Common Lisp and CLIM.

I'll say!

    This has added considerable overhead to the cost of software
    development in Common Lisp.  The purpose of dwim's existence has
    always been to buffer my programs from these winds of change.

Indeed.  I should have been more clear that I did not think that
Scigraph was being a culprit here.

    Perhaps the winds are now dying down.

      Scigraph defines logical gestures with these names, but
      does not appear to use them for anything.

    Thanks for pointing this out.

      Redefine the appropriate gestures: :SELECT, :DESCRIBE, :EDIT, :DELETE,
      and :MENU.  CLIM 2.0 has the following code in it to do this.  I picked
      the gesture assignments out of my hat; I certainly won't claim that the
      assignments are better than any other ones.