CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Resource management in CLIM

  ;; Date: Fri, 12 November 93, 08:46 CST
  ;; From: John Collins
  ;;
  ;; Franz Allegro 4.2/CLIM 2.0 Beta2.0
  ;;
  ;; We are having serious problems using a CLIM application on a PC
  ;; X-server. It consistently dies after an hour or so of continuous use.
  ;; At first we assumed the problem was with the X server, and have been
  ;; working intensively with the vendor. However, we have been unable to
  ;; replicate the problem with other (non-CLIM) applications. So, we tried
  ;; it with one of the CLIM demos, the bitmap editor. We can make the X
  ;; server crash just by repeatedly bring up CLIM dialogs. Apparently
  ;; (this is just a wild guess) the other applications are re-using the
  ;; dialog resources and CLIM is creating new structure every time, and
  ;; the X server eventually chokes. Is this true? Is there any way to
  ;; control this? If not, it's hard to see how CLIM can be used as a
  ;; production tool.

John & Bug Chasers@Franz,

I've also noticed this behaviour with CLIM dialogs crashing X, but on an
HP-UX 8.0 X server. It's extremely annoying when you have N apps running
on Y different machines with lots of valuable context info around.
However, my X server can survive for longer periods of time than what
you indicate. I guess that could perhaps have to do with the fact that I
have more RAM to go on on my local machine (24 MB).

I'm sorry that I cannot offer more than moral support in the
bug-identification process.

Regards,
Eyvind Ness.

  Eyvind Ness         Internet: Eyvind.Ness@HRP.No
  Research Scientist  Voicenet: +47 69 183100 ext. 275
  CRS Division        Faxnet:   +47 69 187109
  OECD HRP            Papernet: PO Box 173, N-1751 Halden, Norway