CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Right-click on gadgets

>> What is the simplest CLIM mechanism I can use to allow a
>> right-click on a gadget in an accept-values pane to trigger
>> some other command (such as help)?
>>

>CLIM 2.0 does not provide a mechanism to modify the behavior of gadgets
>implemented by toolkits such as Motif.
>I am curious to know what sort of functionality (other than help) you want
>to implement.
>I wonder how style guide conformance fits in with this.
>For example, Motif already defines a way of getting help
>
>-chris

I wanted to try to display some stuff to the user via gadgets.  Besides
being able to change the values, I want to allow the user to gesture to the
value in some way to express approval or concern.  Right-clicking on the
gadget itself seemed a direct way to do this.  Though portability and
conformance to style is a concern, I am experimenting with different, maybe
new, HCI ideas, so the ability to play with these ideas is really the top
priority.

I'm not really trying to change the behavior of the gadget (at least, I
don't think so).  I just want to provide a menu of choices or something like
that when the user right-clicks over a gadget.  I can do all this with a simple
object, but I liked the idea of being able to see and change values easily,
and provide other options as well.

... Rick
duffy@pogo.den.mmc.com
rduffy@nyx.cs.du.edu