CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: reducing time overhead of text display (in 1.1)

    Date: Wed, 22 Dec 1993 18:08 EST
    From: Peter Karp <pkarp@ai.sri.com>

    > One thing which might provide a partial solution is improved documentation.
    > That is, attempt to explain the work (magic) that the high level CLIM
    > facilities do, and make it easy to use lower level facilities when that's
    > the right choice. In effect, much of this thread is doing just this.

    I very much agree with this sentiment.  I have in fact done some
    output-record hacking in the past to speed up an application.  The
    fact that the functions I used were undocumented certainly made the
    work harder to do.  But in addition I worried that the things I had
    done would have disappeared from the next version of CLIM, and I'd
    have to spend even more time figuring out how to get the speedups.
    Which makes me wonder how much time I'd really be saving over X if I
    invest in even more output-record hacking.

CLIM 2.0 solidifies the output recording protocols.  It is safe to use
them in modern CLIM programs.  They are unlikely ever to change in any
significant way.

Since the CLIM 2.0 documentation we are just now finishing is already
(1) late, and (2) 600 pages, this is one of the things not to be
completely documented.  However, I anticipate a revised spec out
sometime, and maybe someday JGA and I will finally write our book.
Among the big examples will be a good output recording example.

    Peter