CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Inconsistent behavior for menu-choose between mcl and lucid

   Date: Thu, 10 Feb 1994 12:50:01 -0600
   From: Yusuf Pisan <yusuf@spd-13.ils.nwu.edu>

   I have been trying to port soem code that was initially written for
   lucid and I have noticed some inconsistent behaviour. Maninly

   (defun test1 ()
     (clim:menu-choose '(1 2 3) :associated-window *root*)
     (print "hello"))

   Under MCL you get a "Do it" and "Cancel Button"
   Under Lucid there are no buttons.

This is completely reasonable.  Different platforms have different
conventions.

   Under MCL if you click on Cancel you are thrown to the top level, so
   under MCL it is possible that the print statement will not be
   executed. Under Lucid you have to make a choice to continue.

This is a bug in the MCL back-end.  It should not be cancelling all
the way to the top-level.  (I thought there was a patch for this
already available from the FTP site, but since you checked and didn't
find anything I'll have to check at home to see if I have one there.)

   Somebody suggested using #+MCL catch-cancel, but I thought there must
   be a better way of doing this then spreading #+MCL's all over the
   code.

In the absence of a patch (which would cause the Mac's MENU-CHOOSE to
return nil if cancelled) this is probably the best you can do.

Dennis Doughty						Interleaf, Inc.
doughty@ileaf.com