CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: menu-bar

  Date:     Wed, 4 May 94 11:13:14 EDT
  From: Nichael Cramer <ncramer@BBN.COM>

  >Date: Wed, 4 May 94 09:55:21 EDT
  >From: Myriam Abramson x7815 <abramson@verdi.sra.com>
  >Subject: menu-bar
  >
  >Clim2.0 beta Lucid 4.1.1
  >
  >1.  How can I specify the menu-bar to be at the bottom of an application
  >frame instead of at the top?
  >
  >2.  If I specify (:panes (commands :command-menu)), the commands do
  >not appear as push-buttons as they would appear with the :menu-bar
  >option.   Is there a way to do that?

  I'm pretty sure there's no way to do this directly/simply (i.e. just as
  declarations in :MENU-BAR clause of the frame definition) after all, it's
  not the motif standard.   ;)

  To do what you want to do basically you have to make your own menu-bar
  pane.  You can then position it whereever you want it.  (You also need to
  handle the command table yourself.)

  E.g. use a clause like the following in your :PANES declaration:

    (MENU-BAR (clim:make-pane 'clim:menu-bar
			      :command-table 'my-menu-bar-command-table
			      :text-style '(:fix :bold :large)
			      :background clim:+blue+
			      :foreground clim:+white+))

  And then handle it as a regular pane in the appropriate :LAYOUTS clause.

In Allegro CLIM 2.0 you can use the pane abbreviation :MENU-BAR (as opposed
to :COMMAND-MENU which will get you old CLIM 1 style menus) rather than
having to explicitly create the pane eg

(:panes
  (old-style :command-menu ...)
  (new-style :menu-bar ...)
  ...)

either pane can appear anywhere in the layout.

-----
Colin Meldrum, Franz Inc.	1995 University Avenue, Suite 275
colin@Franz.COM (internet)	Berkeley, CA 94704
uunet!franz!colin (uucp)	Phone: (510) 548-3600; FAX: (510) 548-8253