CLIM mail archive

[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Painful MenuBar Command-Table Change

[CLIM2/Allegro/Sparc]

The past few weeks I've noticed that it seems to take a *very* long time
for a menu to come up if I happen to change a command table on the menu-bar
on a frame that's already exposed.

This usually happens, of course, during de-bugging; occassionally, if I
change a command table, it can take over a minute for the menu to appear
the next time I click on a menubar.  NOTE:  It appears to make *no*
difference whether or not this menu is connected to the command table that
I've changed.

However in a current application (which contains menu-bar command tables
that need to be computed after the frame has been created) it can take up
to *3 minutes* for the first pull-down to appear after the menu-bar has
been clicked on.

A possible hint: It's pretty hard to tell what's going on, but it seems
that it _may_ be spending a sizable portion of this time doing
command-enabled on the commands in the command-table (I do virtually all of
my command disable-ing by specializing on this method, if that helps any).

Any suggestions, hints, etc?

Nichael

One final bit: because it's in the middle of doing something motif-ish it's
*real* easy to fry MOTIF, at the nothing-to-do-but-reboot level while this
is going on --but the flaming about *that* will come in a later message. ;(

Main Index | Thread Index