porting CLISP to MIPS R4000 boxes running RISC/os 5.01

I'm not having an easy time at all porting CLISP to our MIPS R4000 boxes
running RISC/os 5.01. Problem is that RISC/os 5.01 tries to cover
three different flavours of UNIX: svr3, svr4 and bsd43, which is a
nice idea in principle. However, what happens in practice is that
confusion arises among the various include files which have a nasty
habit of laughing at each other. (Been there, done that!) Has anyone
gotten to the other side of this exercise; I'd very much like to get
on with looking at CLISP itself!

Cheers
MichaelW