foreign function interface

after i built clisp i installed clisp in a directory /usr/local/clisp
this dir contains bin, lib, linkkit and man.  i put all the files
for linking (the lisp.a ... files) in lib/lisp.  so my base directory
is /usr/local/clisp/lib/lisp.  i wanted to centralize the locations of
the files needed to make the binary.  however now i want to add other
libraies as my c functions needs them.  is the best place to add them
to the link1.sh file?  also is is possible (or desireable) to make
base a environment variable?
thanks,
dan stanger