Character streams

Hi,
	Not sure whether this is a bug or I am just don't know what I
am doing.

If I make a file "tst", whose contents is just the string "a b c"
and then in clisp (latest-ish version) I evaluate

(with-open-file (strm "tst" :element-type 'character)
(read strm))

I get

*** - READ from #<CHAR-FILE-STREAM #"tst">: character read should be a string-char: #6\CONTROL-Space
1. Break>

but I was rather hoping for "A".  On the other hand, cmu lisp gives
"A". But this may be wrong.

Ta

Sp

--
"You need as many clues as you can get as to how these things work
when you're a buffoon." - D. Row